Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Poconos Vacation




Last Sunday, as I was getting ready to depart my mom's house for the Poconos for a week long vacation with the family, we had an unexpected emergency. I had decided to take the kids to McDonald's for lunch since Brian was taking a nap after flying up from FL that morning. After killing about 20 minutes on the playground, I decided to head back to mom's to wake up Brian so we could get on the road. I went to start the car's AC before buckeling in the kids and as I was leaning in with Aiden on my hip the car door swung back and sliced a nice little dash in his forehead! It was bleeding quite a bit, so I stopped at mom's to get Brian and then we headed to the closest ER.




The visit to the ER was pretty easy compared to the norm. By the time we got there Aiden was happy and smiling completely unaware of the cut on his head. The nurse decided that instead of stitches we cold just use a little glue to seal it back up. I think we were out in less than an hour and hopefully the little scar above his eye will fade over time. Ironically, we were at the same hospital 2 1/2 years earlier with almost the same injury for Hallie. It was Christmas Day in 2006 when she tried to get her stocking down from the fireplace by herself and the weighted holder crashed onto her nose.




From the ER, we headed towards the turnpike to start the drive to the house my parents rented in the Poconos for the week. It turned out to be a fun, relaxing week. Hallie was anxious to test out her new Barbie fishing pole that daddy had bought her. There was a nice fishing lake behind our house where Hallie caught her first fish! Her attention span is still a little short for fishing. She enjoys throwing in the pole and then wants to run off and play until she catches a fish. We also had canoe at the house that we were able to use. Hallie and Daddy took it out into the lake to do some more fishing.




Our nights were filled with campfires, S'Mores, games, and sing-a-longs. My mom loves to play her guitar outside by the campfire and my dad loves to make the fire as big as he can. The last night Brian was there he brought home fireworks and sparklers. Hallie loved lighting up the sparklers and dancing around in the dark with them.




My favorite part of the vacation was the day trip we took to Bushkill Falls. We went on a short little hike with the kids to the falls, and then I went on a longer route with my brother and his wife, Sara. Overall, it was a fantastic trip - the best part was that it was only a 2 hour drive back to my mom and dad's. We'll be spending a few more days here in PA and then will fly back to FL on Wednesday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment